Additional contact information:
When news spread last week that Trinidad James signed a $2 million dollar record deal with Def Jam, many involved in the industry took to Twitter to give our two cents. My mini-rant got picked up and spread around the net a bit (read most of it here), and we planned on discussing some of the issues on the air for this week's SNSS.
However, that topic and the debates it sparked were rendered completely meaningless by the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut last Friday. Our thoughts are with all those affected, which really should be everyone reading this. Even if you weren't directly touched by this event, you've undoubtedly been affected by gun violence and/or mental health issues at some point in your life. Both are far too pervasive in our society and while both have been debated for years, it looks like this might have finally been a tipping point to move in the right direction, at least in terms of gun control regulations. The debate can rage on for years (and has), it seems we might finally be able to close the "gun show loophole" and perhaps even accomplish a ban on assault weapons. I haven't heard one reasonable argument against either of those goals and they seem like the least we can do. Between Newtown, Columbine, Blacksburg, and the day to day violence we see in places like Chicago and Detroit, we simply must do better. An intelligent conversation and plan for moving forward is not too much to ask.
We touched on this topic a little during this week's show, but the focus, as always, was on the music. We played new records from artists like Game, J. Cole, JMSN, Talib Kweli, Jamall Bufford, John Legend, the Delfonics, Snoop Lion, Wais P, Big Boi, Little Dragon, and more. Plus we were joined in studio by one of our favorite artists in Seattle, Dice. Her debut album, Reflections In Broken Glass, comes out Tuesday!
Enjoy the show and be safe out there folks.
Show #392 (12-16-12)
- Game ft. J. Cole & JMSN – “Pray”
- Talib Kweli – “Fly Away (Apollo Brown Remix)”
- Jamall Bufford – “10,000”
- DJ Phinisey ft. Grynch & Hyphen8d – “This Road” (Local Music)
- **INTERVIEW WITH DICE, PT. 1**
- John Legend – “Who Did That To You”
- Adrian Younge Presents The Delfonics – “Stop and Look (And You Have Found Love)”
- Charlie Red – “Norah Jones”
- **INTERVIEW WITH DICE, PT. 2**
- Dice – “Celebration” (Local Music)
- Kendrick Lamar ft. Drake – “Poetic Justice”
- **INTERVIEW WITH DICE, PT. 3**
- Snoop Lion ft. Mavado & Popcaan – “Lighters Up”
- Truck North ft. Black Thought & Asher Roth – “Capital Crime”
- Apollo Brown & Guilty Simpson ft. Planet Asia – “Nasty”
- Wais P ft. Action Bronson – “Staten Island Ferry”
- Big Sant – “Live”
- Geto Boys – “Six Feet Deep” (Throwback of the Week)
- Choklate – “Wide Open” (Local Music)
- Big Boi ft. Little Dragon – “Descending”
Link to download/stream the mp3 of the show - http://www70.zippyshare.com/v/12311818/file.html
(back up link - http://linkmixes.com/6f7vv1e8woch)
(2nd back up - http://www.sharebeast.com/02vtchpmg33p)
If there are any problems with the links or if you’d like to be added to our weekly email list to receive the playlist and download links after every show, just shoot me an email, DJHyphen@gmail.com.