ABOUT THE MUSICA FESTIVAL
“The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort and convenience, but where they stand in times of challenge and controversy.
" Martin Luther King, Jr.
Education is the key to unlocking the future for the next generation of Hip Hop entrepreneurs. In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., this year’s MUSICA Festival engages ALL youth to become socially conscious, college-conscious, and college-ready. In honor of the legacy of Dr. King, we encourage Hip Hop artists, entrepreneurs, philanthropists, performers, and those whose work has been significantly impacted by Hip Hop to submit a nomination form for consideration (see above for description of nomination process).Special Features and Presentations at the Musica Festival:
- THE 2009 PIERCE COUNTY EXECUTIVE’S AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN HIP HOP The second annual Pierce County Executive’s Awards for Excellence in Hip Hop acknowledges and honors innovative performances, community service and entrepreneurial achievement by locally based members of the hip hop community who have had a significant impact in Pierce County.
- THE 2009 MARTIN LUTHER KING COUNTY EXECUTIVE’S AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN HIP HOP - Saturday January 17th, 2009. This annual Awards for Excellence in Hip Hop ceremony acknowledges and honors innovative performances, community service and entrepreneurial achievement by locally based members of the hip hop community who have had a significant impact in Martin Luther King County .
College Awareness Initiative
- Local Hip Hop talent showcases
- National artist performances
- History of Northwest Hip Hop exhibit
- Martin Luther King Jr. exhibit/display
- Hip Hop debate
- Spoken word performances
- Booth exhibits
“…that is why it is so important to invest in education. The rate of return is a world of peace
Our mission is to spearhead an education outreach campaign revolving around the MUSICA festival which motivates target audiences through Hip Hop with the tools to work effectively towards higher education. This is part of an overall communications strategy to raise awareness and increase public support amongst underserved communities. The MUSICA Festival will be designed to blend pop-culture, educational, and entertainment styles to enhance appeal to a wide range of audiences.
- Build awareness of the importance of college preparedness
- Learn through music (Hip Hop) how to use education as a tool to help youth succeed and excel in academic environments
- Increase understanding of the importance of education and the entertainment business